Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 24, 2009

The First Days Home

The first few days back home are a total blur for me. I was on strict bed rest so what I do recall is being pampered like a queen by Jason. He was so attentive and never once hesitated to bring me what I needed or wanted, fixing me food, keeping me hydrated and doing all of the diaper changes.

Breastfeeding was very difficult at first. Ian was so fussy and would not take the nipple. After awhile I became so frustrated and finally broke down crying. Ian wouldn't feed for longer than 5 minutes at a time and we were so worried he wasn't getting what he needed.

Cherie did a home visit on Sunday and showed us some breastfeeding basics that I was doing wrong - mainly the position of the head. That helped a little but still we had trouble. More on this later...

During her visit she was pleased to see that his color was healthy, and that overall he was a perfect little baby! She asked about my recovery, mainly the swelling in my genital and bum-bum area, and determined an examination wasn't necessary. Let me tell you, I never knew I could swell up so much! I won't elaborate too much, but needless to say, I felt a little like the Elephant Man down in my nether region. Luckily I suffered no tears or hemmorhoids, which the Center staff could not believe. I tell you, my body was meant to birth Ian!

Other memories of those early days are visits from family members and lots and lots of food being brought to us. That was SUCH a relief and could not have been a more perfect gift. We have been eating like royalty all week long!

All in all, Ian slept quite a bit those first few days and continues to begin his crying sessions around midnight until about 2am. We're getting used to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment