Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Group Hug, Everybody

In the early days of my life with Ian, it was rough. So rough that I clinged to anything comforting and familiar: a hot cup of coffee, my sweet-smelling sheets, the plush pillow behind my head, and The Golden Girls.



You heard me right, The Golden Girls. I grew up watching this show in the 80's and it never occurred to me not to relate to it because it starred four "mature" women. Everything they did and said was funny, and I fell instantly in love with Estelle Getty's character Sophia Petrillo. She was hilarious and endearing.

So those early days of nursing Ian EVERY TWO HOURS proved difficult, and watching the Girls on TV kept me from going insane. Lifetime showed reruns of the show from 7am-9am and then again at night from 11pm-midnight. Guess what: I was up at those hours every day so I never missed an episode.

Then one day, Lifetime cut the episodes and moved them to WE, a channel we don't get. I was crushed. So after a few days missing my Girls, I went online and ordered myself DVDs of all seven seasons. That's right. And I spent the next few weeks watching each DVD, laughing, crying, always having a good time.

Yesterday I finally made it to the last DVD. Watching the series finale was so emotional for me. It was all about life changes, transition and saying good-bye. It was perfect.

Of course, I cried like a, well...like a baby.

About the photo: I snapped that back in February to record what I did during those first few weeks. Notice the captions. In order to be able to watch TV and not disturb Ian, Jason and I got very used to watching shows with captions on and the volume turned way down. Now it feels weird to watch TV without captions!

No comments:

Post a Comment